Friday 23 November 2012

The bumpy road called NNICU


The world in NNICU is one heck of a rollercoaster; ask any mother who has delivered a prem baby. Premature babies are volatile in their progress, and the strict policy that is adopted by the neonatal unit doesn’t make it any easier for parents in terms of taking your baby home. Of course, they will not allow discharge before they are 150% certain that your baby is healthy and strong enough to sustain him/herself, particularly in terms of feeding.
 
The road to recovery in NNICU for our baby girl was one that lasted two months. Two months of not being able to sleep well. Two months of people constantly asking when our baby will be coming home. Two months of emotional ups and downs; every day being different from the previous one. It may not sound like a long time, but let me tell you that being separated from your little one in his/her first 65 days of life is no joke at all. Seeing other parents walk in and out of the unit, feeling the pain of other mothers whose babies were not progressing, feeling disappointed that our baby was not progressing as fast as others were. It was a complete nightmare. The reason for her extended stay was because baby had been diagnosed with hypotonia, that is the medical term for poor muscle tone. In other words, her muscles were not as tight (tense) as they should be, which causes her to remain a bit “floppy” in which case she has to be supported especially in the neck area. The problem with being diagnosed with hypotonia during early infancy is that it often affects the baby’s ability to feed, as their sucking reflex is either not developed or not strong enough to feed (whether they are breast-fed or bottle-fed). The doctor recommended speech therapy whereby the therapist would help stimulate the baby’s sucking reflex by adopting certain exercises (for example stroking the centre of the tongue with the finger). Regardless of the amount of stimulation she received from speech therapy, she seemed to progress in her own time. We waited in anticipation for the day that she would start sucking. Until then, she would be fed through the nasogastric tube. It was terribly frustrating, since it was the only obstacle that held her back from coming home to us. It was difficult being caught up in the world of NNICU. My life felt as though it had stopped for those 2 months that baby was in hospital– nothing else mattered. I went to hospital every day at least once a day, from the day I was discharged from hospital until the day she came home. Sometimes I even went twice a day. Or thrice. Never mind the fact that I needed rest in order to recover from the op, I just could not bear the thought of her lying in hospital surrounded by unfamiliar faces and voices. What made it harder, was the fact that nobody could tell us when she would be coming home – it was all up to her.  
 
One morning out of the blue, the nurse called me screaming through the phone “SHE FINISHED HER BOTTLE! WITHIN 30 MINUTES!”. I was in complete shock. How could she have finished an entire bottle on her own without any assistance from the nasogastric tube, JUST LIKE THAT? At that moment, I realised our prayers had been answered (after a month and a half). Everything we ever wanted, everything we had prayed for, was finally happening. Alhamdulillah! The speech therapist had recommended the use of a special bottle and teat which was meant for babies who were born with cleft-palates. Of all the bottles that we had tried (Nuk, Nuby, Pigeon, Avent, Tommy Tippee) the special needs bottle seemed to be the magic answer. That entire week, our whole family was on a high. I decided to prepare the nursery, convinced that she’d be coming home. I repacked her clothes in her drawers (for about the eighth time since she’d been born) getting excited as I unfolded the tiny premature vests and tights. I knew it was only a few days until the doctor would tell me that my baby, one of the veterans in the unit, was nearing discharge.
 
The day before the doctor had planned to remove the nasogastric tube for good (the baby is required to feed independently from the nasogastric tube for 24 hours before he/she is discharged), the same nurse called me again. “She didn’t drink her bottle this morning. I sat for 45 minutes and she did absolutely nothing. I’m going to have to tube the feed”. I put down the phone and burst into tears. My husband reassured me that there was still hope; she could just have been exhausted for some reason. The next feed, she was exactly the same. Nothing. It was almost as though she had forgotten how to suck (which often happens to prem babies by the way). All she did was sleep, like a lifeless machine who only knew how to breathe. I spoke to the doctor, who said that we should give baby a break from bottle-feeding for a couple of days. Which only meant one thing: we still didn’t know when she was coming home. I had high hopes, because it was my birthday during that week. I decided that my birthday gift would be her home-coming. But hey, who was I to plan when the Lord above does all the planning? Totally crushed at the dip she had taken, I went to visit her each day and sat there with a heavy heart. All our “neighbours” were on their way home. I begged the doctor to do something, but they couldn’t do much except wait it out. My mom suggested I stay with her for a couple of days, and the doctor suggested that I stay at home. They were afraid that my negative state of mind would affect my baby – they feel what you feel. After a day of taking a break, I decided to go back because I just missed her so much. As I walked in, I saw that she had been moved from a normal cot into an incubator. My heart was racing – what could it be? I walked closer and saw that she was undergoing a blood transfusion. They explained that her blood count was low which may have contributed to her low energy levels (which affected her sucking – it’s hard work for such a tiny being!). I felt terrible, what kind of a selfish mother had I been to be so negative whilst my poor baby girl was going through so much? I watched as she was being pumped with some stranger’s fresh blood. She was sweaty, restless, and crying non-stop. It was the most heart-wrenching experience as a mother. But at the same time, I could instantly see her regaining her strength and energy. I was silently thanking the person who had been the blood donor. It felt good to see her full of life again. I knew then, that this was the beginning of the end. And man, what an ending it was! The transfusion was the best thing that could have happened. She started sucking again, and they removed the nasogastric tube for good. Five days later (during the waqtu of Yoummul Jummu’a), the doctor came to see me. She said she would be discharging our baby angel, and asked if I was prepared to take her home that day. I was ready to rip her head off, what would make her think that I wasn’t ready to take my child home after so long? I rushed home to get her things, my body shaking from the adrenalin whilst I drove home. Everybody in the unit was absolutely thrilled that baby was finally on her way home. It was a bitter-sweet experience saying our goodbyes; it was the only place she recognized as being her home.
Sleeping peacefully in her nest
 
No more tube! :)
 
 
Saying goodbyes...

No comments:

Post a Comment